Wooden Background

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Month One

Month one was definitely the craziest month of my life. Crazy delivery, hectic first week, and oh ya, having a new baby. 

Silas hanging out with John for the first time. Silas -one week. John -6 weeks. 


By week two, I was going a little stir crazy still living in my basement. Seriously, someone please get me out of here!!!

Thank goodness my mom put together yet another wonderful beach trip for my family! It wasn't until the Wednesday before we left on Friday that we finally decided we were going. (We always said we would play it by ear. If he was colicky or we weren't up for it, we wanted to be able to bow out). Luckily, Silas was getting over his staph infection and had clearance from the doctor. (She did advise not getting him in the ocean. No, duh, lady. Ha!)

So Tyler, Annie and I braved the 9 hours drive with Silas. And really, all things considered, he did great. It may have taken an extra hour or so but nothing to complain about. 

We got to Fort Morgan and I was in heaven. Not only did I not have to clean, I also had (amazingly delicious) meals prepared for me, a babysitter any time I needed a break, lots of quality family time, and I was at the freaking beach. 

Don't get it twisted, this two-week post partum self was not about to get in the water (or a bathing suit for that matter). But it was just the fact that out the back door was sunshine, sand and waves crashing. Therapy -- it was really great therapy, minus the talking about your feelings crap. 

I basically laid around in pjs all week. I only became presentable one night when  we went to Lulu's. The rest of the time I was my hot mess self. 

PS -- I have decided all those girls that get fancy (ie: showered, makeup and anything nicer than pajamas) days after delivery are just plain freaking crazy. I felt like if I BATHED my day was a success. This went on for like a month. So all you girls that get all dolled up three days after you have a baby? Go away. Just..... Go away. 

Aunt Amanda and baby boy. 


Harry LOVES his boy cousins. It's the cutest!!!

Before the USA World Cup game. 
Like the only time I went out to the beach except for family pics. 

Mallory and GK were the hand-washing police with anyone that held Silas. :)
Levi loved Silas! He got the biggest kick out of the little baby.

Gran snuggles!

Tyler and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary at the beach. We celebrated with key lime cheesecake -- my kind of celebration!

Once we got back home from the beach, we moved back upstairs to our normal living arrangements. It was the first time Silas had been in his nursery! (At 3 1/2 weeks old) Coming home after the beach made me feel like a completely different person. I actually wanted to get out or the house. This was major progress. 

Netflix night and baby cuddles!


Beginning to hold his head up a bit during tummy time. 

Silas and I out on our first walk. This was the first day we had just the two of us. 

During the first month, here are a few special things about Silas I don't want to forget...

-Your sneezes came in sets of three. 
-Your head control was freakishly good. People would comment all the time about how much older they thought you were because you could practically hold your head up at two weeks. 
-You took about a week to get the hang of sleeping more at night. You were sleeping about 4-5 hours at a time during the night. We were thankful!!
-You did well in pretty much any environment we put you in. You'd sleep anywhere and only got overstimulated once or twice (which is pretty impressive since we were in one house with 15 people for a week!)
-You really started interacting at two weeks old when Chad had you in his lap at the beach. He talked to you and sang to you and just listened and coo'd. That was pretty cool to see. 
-You slept so well when swaddled. I am forever thankful to Bo and Bess for lending us one of their swaddle me blankets. I didn't think we would need any so we were just using muslin blankets. But one night in the swaddle me blanket and you slept 5 hours for the first time! We've been hooked ever since. 
You took the paci at 4 days old and have loved it ever since. 
-You had a full head of dark brown hair. No clue where that came from!
-You LOVE bathtime!! You instantly calmed down and got bright eyed. 
-A few times early on, I was so tired I would feed you laying down in bed so we  could both get some rest. Tyler did not approve thinking this was too dangerous. So he would stand at the foot of the bed (he'd stand so he wouldn't fall asleep himself) just staring at us to make sure you were safe. 
-The dogs did surprisingly well around you. We were never worried about Sabby, but we were about Giggs. He can be needy and possessive of me and I had my concerns. But overall they just ignore you, which is as good as I could have hoped for. :)
-Your cry was fairly quiet. (That has since changed!)
-Tyler worried your feet were malformed because they curled up so much when you were first born. It took a few weeks to prove that that wasn't the case. 
-You were not a good burper. At all. 
It took a few weeks, but you stopped feeling like a stranger I didn't know, and became this person I had to know everything about. You are an extension of me -- a piece of my heart I wish could be tied to me forever. You are perfect! I love you Silas Lee!




No comments:

Friendly Visitors!