Wooden Background

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Month Three

Silas was 9 weeks, 6 days when I went back to work. Because I needed to get back to work by a certain date, I had taken maternity leave a week before his due date. He ended up coming two weeks late, so that meant I started back when he was right about 10 weeks. 

Many people were kind to ask how going back to work was going. Was it hard to leave him? Where was he going to day care? Etc. 

I had heard horror stories about going back to work. How terrible it was and how gutwrenching every day care drop off was ever single day. Well, maybe I'm a terrible mother who doesn't love my child as much as other moms [ahem, I doubt it] but to be perfectly honest, it wasn't as awful as I expected. 

At 6 weeks old, I was going a little stir crazy being at home all day. Ready to socialize and get out of the house. By 8 weeks, Silas and I had gotten into a rhythm and I was really loving being at home -- not the bit interested in going back to work. 

So when week 9 was coming to an end, I was a bit panicked. Thankfully, I have the most AMAZING sister-in-law ever who gave me the sweetest, most thoughtful gift anyone could have given me -- she offered to come down and keep Silas for the first week I went back to work. Amanda, Georgia Kelley and Mallory all came down to watch Silas Tuesday (my first day back) - Friday. They went back up to NWA for the weekend and Amanda and GK came back for Monday and half of Tuesday the following week. I honestly can't put into words how much this helped the transition. That first week was TOUGH trying to figure out our new "normal." Getting ready in the morning is quite the challenge with a newborn! So being able to have that extra help was huge. Plus I didn't have to worry about dropping him off anywhere. I simply got ready and left him, knowing he was in great hands! I was getting updated all throughout each day which absolutely made my day so much easier!

GK reading to Silas. 


GK and Silas watching TV one morning. :)


All the girls going for a walk. 



Of course, they had to raid my stash at some point during the week! :)

At the neighborhood pool




Needless to say, having Amanda there was the best blessing!!!

My mom had planned to come down that second week for a few days (Tuesday through Thursday) but my grandmother was admitted into hospice the weekend before so plans changed. I know she wished she could have been here but she was absolutely where she needed to be. After all, we were paying for day care -- it was ok if we needed to actually use it. :)

Amanda stayed through midday Tuesday. The night before I came down with good ol' mastitis. What is mastitis, you may ask? Oh it's a nasty infection some women get while breastfeeding, resulting in flu-like symptoms. I went to bed Monday night and woke up at midnight with a fever and terrible chills. Like, shaking in bed for hours, kind of chills. I woke up Tuesday and thought I was going to die. So I ended up staying home  from work. On my second week back. Ya, I felt pretty terrible to have to take a sick day already. Not to mention, on myself! I had thought all future sick days would be taken for Silas! Nope. Wrong-o. 

So Amanda kept Silas that morning while I slept a bit more. I took Silas to his first half-day of daycare in a complete fog so that I could go to the doctor and get some more rest. Needless to say, I didn't get any cute "first day of school" pictures like I had wanted. But I do think it was good for him to have a half day to get his feet wet. 

He went on to daycare that Wednesday and Thursday for full days. Jo Anne, my mother in law, came to watch him Friday. I was SO thankful because that was the day of my big work event. Jo Anne and Tyler even brought Silas over to the event during set up for a bit! So I at least got to see him a little that day. 

Silas and I at Taste of the Finest. 

Jo Anne stayed the next day to help me clean and pick up. Let me tell you! This whole working with a newborn thing basically means my house is disgusting all. the. freaking. time. So if you do happen to stop by sometime, please keep your expectations low. Like really low. Or just don't look around too closely.   

So all in all, when people ask how it's going, being back at work, my answer is kind of 50/50. And I've started saying this more and more --"it is what it is."  Of course I would love to be at home with Silas. I miss him every minute. I'm insanely jealous Tyler gets to pick him up in the afternoons. But it's just not in our cards for me to stay at home. Maybe one day? I just continue to pray about it. I also think it has made me cherish my time with him that much more. I don't want to miss a second! 

We ended month three with his first time to small group. My 10th grade girls ADORE him. And he does really well! For now. :) so while he's still small enough to tote along, he will be our newest group member. I don't think the girls mind! ;) Plus, it let's him get to know his future babysitters a little better!

Some additional things I don't want to forget:

He really started to get those big, over-the-top happy grins that I just love. 

He went to church for the first time. (We did wait until he was pretty old to go to church, I realize. We just heard a few horror stories of newborns getting sick too early and decided we would wait a bit.)

He officially found his toes! He hasn't quite mastered pulling his socks off just yet, but he is mighty close. 


Some mornings when he wakes up a little early, when I'm particularly tired, I bring him back to bed with me so I can feed him in bed. We both get a little more sleep that way. Not to mention some extra cuddles. :) I will usually get up and start getting ready, leaving this little guy to sleep a bit longer. Isn't this just adorable???

Dressing him up in Tyler's baby clothes brings me just as much joy as any little girl dress up (I can imagine). 



That grin!

So far, I've been able to stop by his day care several times a week to either feed him, play with him, etc. This particular day I just rocked him to sleep. Not a bad way to spend lunch!

He has also started really reaching for things. When he's being held he we grab my hair (ouch!). Or while he's feeding he will reach his hand up on my check (my favorite!). He's also learning to grab for toys or anything that makes noise. 

We tried out an excersaucer. He's still a bit too small, but if I sit with him, he enjoys trying to reach for all the different toys.

His "focused" face. 

We got to visit with Tyler's aunt Jill and uncle Phil. 

Other things to remember:
-We began dream feeds. I'm getting a bit more sleep (sometimes) so that is a lovely thing. 
-He still hates tummy time. 
-He has begun burying his face, or rubbing his eyes, in my chest or shoulder when he's tired. So cute!
-I think he is one of his teachers' favorites. He's just such a happy baby! 
-Every morning on our way to day care, he falls asleep. I love / it breaks my heart to get him out of his car seat when he's so peaceful! 

Until next time!




No comments:

Friendly Visitors!